Lately, when you visit your elderly loved one, he or she seems depressed and not as carefree as they used to be. Your visits seem to help somewhat, but when you leave, you’re uncertain if they are able to enjoy life as they once did. What can you do to help improve their lives on a day-to-day basis? Even though we are living longer today and people seem to be taking better care of themselves, it is inevitable that we will start to lose quality of life when we age. Sometimes, our physical selves might suffer—we are not as strong as once were and arthritis has set in. Also, there is mental and emotional health to think of. So, what are some of the things you can do to help keep our loved ones active and engaged in life before a call to a senior home care service in Boca Raton is necessary?
- Be on the lookout for signs of depression–speak with a doctor to see if your loved one should seek treatment. If your loved one is suddenly living alone due to the loss of his or her spouse, that can be a telltale trigger. Get your loved one involved in a widow’s group. Sharing stories with those that know your pain can be healing and comforting.
- Keep your loved one busy and feeling useful. Engage them in conversation when you visit. Get them involved in a book club or ask them to research something for you on the Internet (if they can). When seniors begin to feel like a burden, they get depressed and may want to check out. Look for constructive ways to engage your elder.
- Encourage them to do crossword puzzles or word games to keep their mind active. Or, ask them to regale you with an interesting current event they read about or just saw on the news.
- Encourage family activities where your elder is included. Let them bond with grandkids and younger ones more often. Babies are the best medicine.
- Get them a pet to love—doesn’t have to be a dog or cat. Even caring for a few goldfish or small bird can make a senior feel wanted and needed. Studies have shown that pets have the power to heal and make a senior feel useful and needed.
When should I call a senior home care service in Boca Raton?
If you are feeling like you’ve tried it all and your loved one needs more help than you can give, do not feel like you’ve failed. There is help for you in a trusted senior home care center. AstraCare provides quality compassionate senior home care and employs skilled nurses and medical professionals who will come to your home and help with your everyday routine. Whether it be administering medication, hygiene needs, food preparation, doctor visit transport or just physical company, AstraCare is there to help your loved one get back some enjoyment out of life in his or her golden years.
The need for one-on-one interaction is always important and even more so as we age because feelings of loneliness can creep in. Everyone seems to be going about their busy lives and your loved one can no longer keep up. Our AstraCare team possesses the years of experience to help with all of your loved one’s physical and emotional needs on a part-time, full-time or live-in basis. What’s more, our rates are affordable and usually covered by insurance. We can help with that too. Call our trusted senior home care service in Boca Raton today to discuss your loved ones needs. Call AstraCare at (844) 811-4401 and see your loved one’s health and overall quality of life improve for the better today!