AstraCare offers specialized and knowledgeable nursing care to patients who have an ostomy. Our trained nurses and caregivers will help patients maximize their independence and teach patients and their loved ones to care for the ostomy. Our goal is to maximize our patients quality of life and learn to live comfortably with an ostomy pouch.
WHILE THE ASTRACARE NURSE IS TEACHING ALL ASPECTS OF OSTOMY CARE IT IS IMPORTANT TO BE AWARE OF COMPLICATIONS REQUIRING IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION.
Your caregiver will manage all aspect of your ostomy care including:
- How to empty and change the pouch
- How to clean the affected and surrounding area
- How to care for the skin around the stoma
- Educate patients to follow the Food guidelines as prescribed by their Dr. in order to minimize discomfort
NURSING CONCERNS DURING COLOSTOMY CARE:
- Bloody or Black Stool
- Bleeding at or on the Stoma
- Severe abdominal pain
- Weakness with the inability to stand
- A Fever
- An odor coming from the bag lasting more than 1 week
- The skin around the stoma becomes red and irritated
- Nausea, vomiting cramps or abdominal bloating
- No Regular Bowel Movements through the stoma for several days
- The stoma size changes
Once you make the decision to go with the highly skilled team at AstraCare our Registered Nurse will be involved with all aspects of care. You and your loved one will have access to our AstraCare RN who holds extensive medical expertise and can answer your medical questions or help you find the proper ways to resolve medical issues as they arise. This is available to you as part of our in home care service. The AstraCare RN is accessible by phone 24 hours-a-day or for in-home visits. A nursing assessment, history and medication review is provided. A Plan of Care is done by the RN in conjunction with the doctor and left in the home for easy access to health information. AstraCare’s RN can help find and make appointments with specialty doctors, set up medication boxes and provide comforting support to you and your loved one. At AstraCare, you are not alone during this time and our RN can help you navigate through the journey.
Once you make the decision to go with the highly skilled team at AstraCare our Registered Nurse is involved with all aspects of care.
CHOOSE OSTOMY IN-HOME CARE
You Can Always Rely On Us
AstraCare strives to offer the best in personalized care services. Whatever your exact needs are, our caring and compassionate staff are here for you.
South Florida's Premier In-Home Care